Jan 16, 2008

Hit me days are here again

Dear hip-hop youths,
Your hand is not a belt- pull your goddamned pants up. The droopy pants thing started in prison. It was a signal to show potential "lovers" that they were open for business and wanted to get a big-ole dick shoved up their assholes. Therefore, you are telling people you are gay when you imitate them.

Either get serious about school, or go on and start your career in action packed world of auto detailing. The world doesn't owe you a living- either decide you want to learn and do better, or accept that people will look down upon you for the rest of your life, and that it is your fault, not theirs.

Turn your fucking radio down. If I wanted to listen to your radio, I'd be in your car.
You don't have the right to pollute my air. It's bad enough that you're wasting my air by breathing it, but should I have to listen to you doing it?

Hurry the fuck up when you cross the road; especially since you're in the middle of the fucking block. I realize that the wind blowing by you makes it hard for you to light your blunt, but holy shit. I mean, Colonial goddamn Williamsburg has fucking sidewalks for Christ's sake. "Halteth thine tredding, young negro boy. Thou musteth walk on the sides, not in the middle of the lane, lest thee be hit by yon hasty coach."

Stop reinforcing stereotypes if you don't like hearing about it. Life is not ALL ABOUT SHOW.
Don't let your peers (bros) pressure you out of trying to do better. If they like the gutter, let them live there. There's no reason for you to be like them.

And the reason this whole rant started- I do so hate career community college students. I know that there are many who are working into a university, but there are so many just wasting every one's time and taxpayer money.

11 comments:

Ted said...

Saw an article recently whose main thrust was "too many Americans go to college". It pointed out that lots of us are wasting 4+ years of productivity getting pointless degrees (or not) that we don't use. I guess it sums up as: http://despair.com/potential.html

KAISER ANDY I said...

Well, with largescale manufacturing in decline, kids are being told that they need to go to college to get a job, although they are in no way prepared. This sets up the two-and-out system for many of the "students".
I don't want to get into a long discussion about the underclassed not having the same opportunities as others, but I do believe that college just isn't for some people.

Yankee John said...

learn a trade. we still need plumbers, electricians and mechanics,

the resurgence of this nation will be built on the twin foundations of high-tech science schools and vocational/trade schools.

Ted said...

One of the points made in the educational literature is that college degrees used to be attainable only by individuals of superlative drive and intelligence (back in the '40's and '50's). So businesses used college degrees as sort of a pre-screening for high-end jobs. So people viewed a BA or BS as a requirement for "a good job" and started getting meaningless degrees to that end once educational loans became available. Apparently the trend is now starting to swing the other way, with individuals and businesses realizing that a well-motivated graduate from a good (read: better than the N'awlins Pubic Skewls have to offer) is actually better prepared for a profitable career than somebody who slacked his way through four years at Nowhere U majoring in Mixology and Reproductive Science.

KAISER ANDY I said...

Absolutely. Working and talking with students at a community college and a traditional four year school is giving me a bit of insight to what the hell it is that they think, which is getting scary. More and more of the students are viewing their educations as commodities, which reinforces the idea of the waste of money.

Ted said...

An education IS a commodity, in that it is purchased for a price (both in time and money) and then sold (I guess rented would be a better term) for the rest of one's career. If the selling price is better than the purchase price, you've spent your college years wisely. If not...

KAISER ANDY I said...

I guess that is true. I just meant the belief of,"I paid for it, it has to come to me now." The consumer culture that now engulfs education.
That, and the fact that most community colleges are seemingly staffed by social workers pretending to be teachers.

But then again, if you don't convince the kids that they belong there, you don't get their money.

Ted said...

It's funny...on the one hand, the "pay your fee, get your B" mentality is rampant. On the other hand, students put up with an amazing amount of crap (instructors who don't speak english, unreasonable course times, grading schemes which change mid-semester, etc) from the customer-service point of view.

KAISER ANDY I said...

No kidding there. I had a pre-calc teacher at UofL that was from China, and the recitation instructor had to translate instructions for the test as almost no-one could understand how he spoke.

Yes, pre-calc at UofL. I stink at math. The only time I do math now is figuring MPG.

Ted said...

Ironically, this feeds right back into the earlier discussion about useful coursework. Were you going to be an engineer or something? Was there ever any rational reason for you to take pre-calc?

KAISER ANDY I said...

Not particularly. I think they teach these classes in order help some students "unlock" their abilities. Like I'm going to struggle with math for years and then decide in college that I love it and want to make it my career.

Either that, or they can say, "we've taught you pre-calc. You are now smart. Go out into the world."

On the other hand, engineering students should take as many english/speech classes they can get their hands on.