Jul 14, 2009

Now that I have a few more minutes

I don't think I gave my San Antonio trip due justice by the small explanation I gave earlier.

Feeling like August in the ville, everyday was over 100 degrees. As the plane approached S.A., I noticed that there was scant areas of green. The grass hadn't crunched under my feet since last fall, so that was a wakeup call to let me know that I wasn't in Kansas anymore.

Ms. Faney and I went to one of the coolest bars ever. Called the Buckhorn Saloon (since something like 1883), they have more and different stuffed animals and mounts than one could expect to see in a lifetime, including a stuffed elephant head and a girraf from head to shoulder.
Add the singing cowboy to the Alamo light microbrew, and it makes for a fine experience as far as watering holes go. They had their own museum to the Texas Rangers (the ones like chuck norris, not the ones that have sucked since trading A-rod), but we felt that the $16 buck a piece for admittance could be spent in a better fashion, so we passed on that and spent one quarter of the cost of a ticket on another beer.

We did a quick run through of the Alamo, which turned out to be more of "look at the tourists looking at the Alamo," but it was fine, and enough for me to remember it.

We visited a couple of really cool towns, both given German names from the German immigrants that founded them. One was called Frediricksburg, and the other's name is Gruene. The natives pronounce the the latter's name in the English version, Green.
I never knew that Texas had that many German immigrants, but two things were apparent:
1) they were prods, as I didn't see Catholic church one in the towns
b) they sure built some sturdy-ass buildings. Fburg had a mostly hand hewn limestone, and Gruene still had it's wooden Mennonite gathering building.
Fredricksburg is more of an antique shop and yuppie store main street, but that's where I got the BLTA, and it was good.
Gruene had one really awesome thing that Fburg didn't- free wine tasting. The glass of Pinot Grigio I had was excellent. Not to rough. Then I had a beer while listening to some live music outside.

More later. I have a beer in my near future.

No comments: