Jul 15, 2009

Texas part III

Let's see...where was I?
Oh, that's another thing about my experience in Texas- if there's room for a band to play Texas-style country, they're going to have one there. If the available space is limited, then it's just a guy with a guitar.

Another thing I noticed was that everybody has a gift shop. I think even the hot-dog vendors sold Texas paraphernalia.

It was a pretty packed three days in and around San Antone, but two places will always stick out in my memory:
Enchanted rock and Luckenbach. One place you sit on top of the world and listen to it sing to you, and the other you sit in the shade, drink beer, and listen to guys play guitars and sing songs about their moms, kids, dads, granddads, trucks and beer.
I loved every minute of it.

Ms. Faney drove me everywhere, which was excellent, due to the amount of power driving has to ruin my chi.
Saturday night we ate steaks cooked over wood coals at the house of a friend of hers.
The hour or so before hand found her friend's husband and I drinking beer in the 105 deg heat in front of a fire, proving that it doesn't matter what the temp is. Men likey the beer and fire.

Faney's friend made some hellacious sides, including a nice salad that contained what was probably the third pound of Avocado I ate while I was there.

I commented that I liked the neighborhood, and that I could like it there. One thing changed my mind, however. Their neighbor had just returned from a trip, and someone asked her, "Did you have any Scorpions in your house when you got back?"
*Record-scratching sound here*

Scorpions in your house? I can understand someone asking if you had water in your basement after a heavy rain, if your power was out after a storm, if you slipped and broke your ass in the snow, but scorpions in your house? How do you find out, other that walking around barefooted or blindly putting your hand in weird crevices (s&m joke here)?

All things said, I could live there, especially during the winter. I heard it gets to 40 degrees there. Everyone I met was nice, everywhere I went was clean, and the weather wasn't that bad.

I am definitely going back.
Depending on what goes on here, I might look to relocate, and I'm sure as hell not moving back to Charlotte.


In other news, I finished the book Deke! and am looking to read another. Not that there's a dirth of books in the Kaiser's realm, but they're all history stuff. I'm looking to read something funny. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Ted said...

I have a suggestion for you, but I can't type it here.

KAISER ANDY I said...

It won't fit there.